AMRUT BAUG :- MEDICINAL PLANTS GARDEN
- In-Charge of Amurt Baug (Medicinal Plants Garden) :- Ms. Rohini C. Kolhe (Asst. Prof. Dept. of Pharmacognosy)
The Pharmacy course requires students to learn and practice the exploration and use of medicines from various origins, including the plant kingdom. With this requirement in mind, SJVPM Rasiklal M. Dhariwal Institute of Pharmaceutical Education and Research, Chinchwad, Pune, is pleased to preserve the herb garden named Amrut-baug in the college campus with important medicinal plants. It serves as an important teaching and research tool, to conserve and promote the medicinal values of plants that grow mostly spontaneously, in our environment and whose properties are useful to maintain the balance between man and nature. The college has created a medicinal plant garden comprising several varieties of easy-to-grow plants.
The medicinal plant garden is used for different purposes such as-
- Provide students with the opportunity to learn pharmacognosy through the study of the cultivation and conservation of medicinal, oleaginous, volatile and aromatic plants from which various drugs and pharmaceutical products are obtained.
- Provide authentic plant samples required in regular practice and research soundings.
- Provide the opportunity to investigate the possibility of successfully growing exotic plants in the local geo-climatic environment.
- Provide the opportunity to study the essential factors to maximize the production of superior quality medicines from plants.
The medicinal plant garden is situated in the campus of the institution attached to the college building. The garden functions as a display area for plants, herbs as well as a source for conservation of several standard botanical specimens. The plants are cultivated and are well labeled for easy identification and to facilitate teaching. Therapeutic values of the plants of herbal garden in curing different diseases are also highlighted